When it comes to America’s view of husbands and wives, the misconception tends to be that as the marriage matures, the fun fades. I believe the best way to keep the excitement in a marriage is to cultivate and nourish your marriage, daily. After being married for over a decade, Hubs and I have learned one thing – if you want to have a successful marriage, you have to work at it. Hobbies for couples is fun way husbands and wives can learn to connect in a new and interesting way.
If you don’t want to lose your marriage to the kids, work, or church, you have to intentionally nurture it.
Sharing like interests amongst one another can help build special bonds in your marriage. You don’t have to have identical interests with your husband, but focus on the one or two that you do have. Being open and willing to interact with one another can be an exciting way of nurturing your marriage and getting to know each other all over again (no matter how long you have been married). As you learn new skills while doing something new, you are creating priceless memories that will never be forgotten. There is a reason why you two fell in love – and I’m sure it started by spending time together. Don’t lose that!
Hobbies for couples can include anything the both of you enjoy doing together. It becomes a “special thing” when the two of you do it together and do it often. The goal is to enjoy one another’s time and get to know each other in a way you haven’t experienced before.
When it comes to choosing a hobby, consider you and your husband’s likes and interests. Ask yourselves, what do we enjoy doing together? What is something we have always wanted to do but haven’t gotten the chance to do? What is something we do not what to do?
As you decide what hobby to embark on, don’t forget to consider how much time you both have to dedicate to your hobby. Depending on what season of your life you are in, you may only have 30 minutes a day to spend together, or you may choose to dedicate one special day a week to spend time together. Choose a hobby and a time that works best for your marriage.
Here are 5 Hobbies to Do as a Couple that Will Make You Both Smarter:
- Learn to play the same musical instrument. – Choose one instrument that you both love to listen to. Find a local class or teacher that the two of you can attend to learn to play. Don’t have time for lessons? Rent two of the same instrument and practice at home with the help of YouTube videos. Playing an instrument has been scientifically proven to improve brain function and cognitive skills.
- Play video games together. – This one is my husband’s favorite! Select a video game that has a dual-player mode and play for as long as you can! Research has proven that playing video games increases communication skills, resourcefulness, and adaptability.
- Study a new language. – Choose a new language for the two of you to learn together. Practice, study, and rehearse what you learn aloud to one another. According to research, learning a second language can actually improve your brain health by stimulating multiple areas of your brain and help reduce cognitive decline in old age.
- Read together. – Select a book that both husband and wife are interested in. Each day, sit down and have one spouse read one chapter aloud to the other. The next day, the other spouse reads aloud another chapter. Research proves that reading increases basic knowledge, reading comprehension, and emotional intelligence.
- Cooking or Baking. – Choose a new recipe that neither of you has tried before. Work together to complete the recipe! Science proves that the attention to detail in cooking exercises your brain and increases cognitive function.