When I first began blogging in 2013, I fell in love with the blog community and all it has to offer. I have always been a writer, but the idea of sharing my work with like-minded people really intrigued me. As technology and social media evolved, blogging has become a huge part of online business, marketing, and entertainment.
Blogs are an important part of our culture just as newspapers were sixty years ago.
Many people who began as bloggers are now bestselling authors, speakers, actors, and celebrities in their own right. If you are reading this, you may be considering starting your own blog too. Whether you want to blog as a business or just for fun, blogging has the potential to become so much more than a few written words on the internet. If you have something to share with the world, you may want to consider starting a blog.
A blog is a regularly updated website or web page that is written in an informal or conversational style. Just as I am writing as if I am talking to you right now, they are usually less formal than commercial websites. Blogs can be used to inform, showcase, entertain, educate, or as a creative outlet. If you have a business, sell a product, or are an influential person, a blog could benefit you in many ways. For example:
- Businesses use their blogs to inform people about and promote products.
- Entrepreneurs use blogs to share their expertise showcase their services.
- Online magazines use their blogs to share the latest fashion trends and looks.
- Writers use their blogs to showcase their work.
- Video blogs can be used to teach or entertain.
A blog is your personal space on the internet where you can share your thoughts, opinions, and expertise with the world.
When I first started blogging in 2013, I began by sharing personal experiences and my opinions. Since then, I have grown an audience of readers who have become like family to me. As my community of readers has grown over the years, my blog has now become my online business.
If you are considering starting your own blog, ask yourself…
- What makes me unique?
- What topics am I knowledgeable about?
- Why should someone listen to me?
- What value can I provide to others?
- What do I want to share?
- What can I talk about for hours and never get bored of?
These questions will help you to begin to brainstorm the type of content you want to share on your blog site. Because a successful blog has to be updated regularly (multiple times a week) you will have to know a lot about the subject you are starting your blog about. Be sure to choose a topic you are well versed in, a topic you enjoy, or a topic you have personally experienced to ensure you are truly sharing valuable information.
There are many ways to share your information online. You can:
- host your own website, like the one you are reading from right now.
- write on a community platform such as Medium.com or Blogger.com.
- record video blogs (vlogging) and post them on Youtube.com
You may be ready to start a blog if you:
- have information about a specific topic to share with others
- want a platform to share thoughts and ideas
- have a unique opinion to share
- want to build a community of like-minded people
- have a passion to share
Do not start a blog if you:
- aren’t a big fan of sharing, writing, or speaking
- don’t have time to write, post, or record at least once a week
- want a quick way to make money
- are only doing it because other people are doing it